Being Overweight or Obese Increases Risk of Developing Colorectal Cancer
Maintaining a healthy weight is important for general health, but growing evidence reveals obesity’s role in the development of chronic illnesses and even deadly cancers.
Obesity is one of the most frequent chronic illnesses in the United States, with one out of every three adults in the nation being overweight. Excess weight has been linked to several health risks including diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease and more recently, colorectal cancer.
Colorectal cancer is very common, with an estimated 150,000 new instances of colon and rectal cancer (CRC) per year, but the number of cases in young adults have been increasing rapidly over the last 20 years and excess weight may be to blame.
According to a new study published in JAMA Network OpenTrusted Source, being overweight or obese during early and middle adulthood increases the risk of developing this common and potentially deadly cancer.
The study comprised 135,161 people ranging in age from 55 to 74 and the findings suggest a strong relationship between high body fat, even in young adulthood, and the development of colon cancer later in life.
According to renowned physician and scientist Dr. William Li, excess body fat, particularly visceral fat around the organs can cause chronic inflammation, which is a known trigger for cancer development.
The findings from the study highlight the importance of prevention and also signal the need for colon cancer screening.
The US Preventive Services Task Force advises screening with stool DNA tests once every three years starting at age 45, however some individuals might want to consider testing earlier.
In the US, 16.6 million colonoscopies are carried out annually but around one-third of Americans between the ages of 50 and 75 have ever undergone a colon cancer screening.
at-home colorectal cancer (CRC) detection test ColoAlert in the US.
ColoAlert, which is already available in select European markets, is moving swiftly towards FDA approval following the company’s successful completion of the pre-submission process for its PMA pivotal clinical trial.
ColoAlert will be tested in the FDA-registered trial “ReconAAsense” to gain commercial approval in the United States. Once approved through a cooperative partner program with regional and national laboratory service providers, the company’s business goal is to achieve scalable distribution across the country.
Expanding the Reach of Its Early Detection Tests Across Europe
Mainz Biomed has also been working to expand the presence of its flagship cancer screening test across European markets by partnering with third-party laboratories for test kit processing instead of the traditional method of operating a single facility.
On May 31, the company announced that it has expanded its commercial footprint into Poland through a partnership with TESTDNA, a leading independent laboratory in Poland.
According to Digestive Cancers Europe, Poland has a particularly high need for dependable non-invasive screening methods, as only around 20% of patients opt for colonoscopy.
With 19,000 new cases annually and approximately 12,000 colorectal cancer-related deaths, the necessity for effective at-home screening tests with early-stage detection is evident. The addressable market in Poland alone accounts for an estimated 21 million patients.
In the coming weeks, the two companies will work together to prepare and launch co-marketing activities to ensure successful commercialization in the Polish market.
Mainz Biomed has also expanded its reach within corporations following the launch of its corporate health program in Germany through a merger with BGM, a well-established corporate health program that serves employees at 48 of Germany’s 50 largest enterprises.
On May 24, Mainz Biomed reported preliminary results from its colorectal cancer screening campaign with Zöller-Kipper GmbH via its BGM cooperation. Zöller-Kipper chose ColoAlert for their corporate health program, which comprises approximately 2,500 employees, in April 2023.
Employees found the online patient portal to be straightforward to use and comfortable, and they were able to easily access the portal, obtain a kit, and securely receive findings within five days, according to the results.
Featured Image @ FreePik
1) The author of the Article, or members of the author’s immediate household or family, do not own any securities of the companies set forth in this Article. The author determined which companies would be included in this article based on research and understanding of the sector.
2) The Article was issued on behalf of and sponsored by, Mainz Biomed NV. Market Jar Media Inc. has or expects to receive from Mainz Biomed NV’s Digital Marketing Agency of Record (Native Ads Inc.) eighty nine thousand seven hundred sixty four USD for 12 days (9 business days).
3) Statements and opinions expressed are the opinions of the author and not Market Jar Media Inc., its directors or officers. The author is wholly responsible for the validity of the statements. The author was not paid by Market Jar Media Inc. for this Article. Market Jar Media Inc. was not paid by the author to publish or syndicate this Article. Market Jar has not independently verified or otherwise investigated all such information. None of Market Jar or any of their respective affiliates, guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any such information. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security. Market Jar Media Inc. requires contributing authors to disclose any shareholdings in, or economic relationships with, companies that they write about. Market Jar Media Inc. relies upon the authors to accurately provide this information and Market Jar Media Inc. has no means of verifying its accuracy.
5) Market Jar Media Inc. and its respective directors, officers and employees hold no shares for any company mentioned in the Article.
6) This document contains forward-looking information and forward-looking statements, within the meaning of applicable Canadian securities legislation, (collectively, “forward-looking statements”), which reflect management’s expectations regarding Mainz Biomed NV’s future growth, future business plans and opportunities, expected activities, and other statements about future events, results or performance. Wherever possible, words such as “predicts”, “projects”, “targets”, “plans”, “expects”, “does not expect”, “budget”, “scheduled”, “estimates”, “forecasts”, “anticipate” or “does not anticipate”, “believe”, “intend” and similar expressions or statements that certain actions, events or results “may”, “could”, “would”, “might” or “will” be taken, occur or be achieved, or the negative or grammatical variation thereof or other variations thereof, or comparable terminology have been used to identify forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements include, among other things, statements relating to: (a) revenue generating potential with respect to Mainz Biomed NV’s industry; (b) market opportunity; (c) Mainz Biomed NV’s business plans and strategies; (d) services that Mainz Biomed NV intends to offer; (e) Mainz Biomed NV’s milestone projections and targets; (f) Mainz Biomed NV’s expectations regarding receipt of approval for regulatory applications; (g) Mainz Biomed NV’s intentions to expand into other jurisdictions including the timeline expectations relating to those expansion plans; and (h) Mainz Biomed NV’s expectations with regarding its ability to deliver shareholder value. Forward-looking statements are not a guarantee of future performance and are based upon a number of estimates and assumptions of management in light of management’s experience and perception of trends, current conditions and expected developments, as well as other factors that management believes to be relevant and reasonable in the circumstances, as of the date of this document including, without limitation, assumptions about: (a) the ability to raise any necessary additional capital on reasonable terms to execute Mainz Biomed NV’s business plan; (b) that general business and economic conditions will not change in a material adverse manner; (c) Mainz Biomed NV’s ability to procure equipment and operating supplies in sufficient quantities and on a timely basis; (d) Mainz Biomed NV’s ability to enter into contractual arrangements with additional Pharmacies; (e) the accuracy of budgeted costs and expenditures; (f) Mainz Biomed NV’s ability to attract and retain skilled personnel; (g) political and regulatory stability; (h) the receipt of governmental, regulatory and third-party approvals, licenses and permits on favorable terms; (i) changes in applicable legislation; (j) stability in financial and capital markets; and (k) expectations regarding the level of disruption to as a result of CV-19. Such forward-looking information involves a variety of known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause the actual plans, intentions, activities, results, performance or achievements of Mainz Biomed NV to be materially different from any future plans, intentions, activities, results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Such risks include, without limitation: (a) Mainz Biomed NV’s operations could be adversely affected by possible future government legislation, policies and controls or by changes in applicable laws and regulations; (b) public health crises such as CV-19 may adversely impact Mainz Biomed NV’s business; (c) the volatility of global capital markets; (d) political instability and changes to the regulations governing Mainz Biomed NV’s business operations (e) Mainz Biomed NV may be unable to implement its growth strategy; and (f) increased competition.
Except as required by law, Mainz Biomed NV undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future event or otherwise, after the date on which the statements are made or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events. Neither does Mainz Biomed NV nor any of its representatives make any representation or warranty, express or implied, as to the accuracy, sufficiency or completeness of the information in this document. Neither Mainz Biomed NV nor any of its representatives shall have any liability whatsoever, under contract, tort, trust or otherwise, to you or any person resulting from the use of the information in this document by you or any of your representatives or for omissions from the information in this document.
7) Any graphs, tables or other information demonstrating the historical performance or current or historical attributes of Mainz Biomed NV or any other entity contained in this document are intended only to illustrate historical performance or current or historical attributes of Mainz Biomed NV or such entities and are not necessarily indicative of future performance of Mainz Biomed NV or such entities.Read more investing news on PressReach.com.Subscribe to the PressReach RSS feeds:
- Featured News RSS feed
- Investing News RSS feed
- Daily Press Releases RSS feed
- Trading Tips RSS feed
- Investing Videos RSS feed