How Cutera’s truFlex Can Strengthen and Tone Your Body
(BPT) - If you're suffering from chronic pain, you're not alone. According to the CDC, 58.9% of adults experienced some kind of pain in the past 3 months. 39% of adults had back pain, 36.5% had lower limb pain, and 30.7% had upper limb pain during that period.1 Studies have shown the effectiveness of electrical muscle stimulation to strengthen muscle and reduce pain in various populations, from healthy young adults to the elderly.2-4
truFlex is a fully customizable muscle stimulation device featuring multidirectional stimulation (MDS) technology to strengthen, tone, and define muscles on the abdomen, obliques, glutes and thighs. This award-winning muscle sculpting treatment can increase muscle mass up to 30%.5,6
A single truFlex treatment delivers the equivalent of 54,000 crunches per session, plus it can treat up to 8 areas simultaneously and simulate 5 different workouts in as little as 15 minutes. It's safe for all body types, skin types, and fitness levels.5
Dr. Shay Pathare of Advanced Spine Care and Pain Management in Staten Island, NY, is an expert in functional medicine who takes a holistic approach to diagnosing and treating patients. He develops customized treatment plans and prioritizes non-invasive procedures that lead to faster recovery.
'All of the treatments I utilize are to improve function as well as provide other benefits such as reduced pain, improved sleep, and quality of life. We assess each patient's concerns, and improving function is one of our main goals. For patients experiencing persistent lumbar pain, it can be difficult to do exercises to strengthen the core muscles, such as the abdominal muscles, obliques, lumbar muscles, and upper gluteal muscles. truFlex offers an innovative treatment option that can strengthen their thigh muscles, gluteal muscles, buttocks, abdominal muscles, and back muscles without having to do strenuous exercises that could lead to further injury,' says Dr. Pathare.
Dr. Tammy Chen of Central Park Laser Aesthetics in New York City uses truFlex to help strengthen the core for her patients. 'Cutera's truFlex is very versatile. I can use it to target our patients' specific needs, placing the handpieces where their chief complaints are. Popular treatment areas include the abs, obliques, legs, and glutes. It can be used for all fitness levels,' she explains. 'You can be a couch potato and jump-start your strength to start working out with truFlex, and even fit athletes still see an improvement. My husband was in the best shape of his life training for an Ironman where he qualified for world championships, but he only got abdominal definition after using truFlex. He finally had the six-pack abs he always wanted,' Dr. Chen adds.
She continues, 'truFlex only takes 15 minutes and patients can feel the effects instantly. After doing 54,000 'crunches' they feel like it's easier to stand up taller and engage their core. I also use it post-injury as part of their physical therapy regimen to help speed recovery because it strengthens the muscles so they can get back to their activities faster and pain-free!'
'Women postpartum who have struggled to get their deeper core stronger can also benefit from truFlex, which stimulates muscles deeper than traditional exercises they can do on their own,' Dr. Chen adds. 'It's not about being a size zero but being stronger and preventing injury. If your core is strong, you'll have better overall health.'
Learn more about how truFlex can strengthen and tone your body.
- Lucas JW, Connor EM, Bose J. Back, lower limb, and upper limb pain among U.S. adults, 2019. NCHS Data Brief, no 415. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics. 2021. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.15620/cdc:107894external icon
- Matos F, Amaral J, Martinez E, et al. Changes in muscle thickness after 8 weeks of strength training, electromyostimulation, and both combined in healthy young adults. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2022;19:3184.
- Wirtz N, Zinner C, Doermann U, et al.. Effects of loaded squat exercise with and without application of superimposed EMS on physical performance. J Sports Sci Med. 2016;15:26-33.
- Picorelli AMA, Pereira LS, Pereira DS, et al.. Adherence to exercise programs for older people is influenced by program characteristics and personal factors: a systematic review. J Physiother. 2014;60:151-6.
- truFlex Clinical Guidelines, Cutera, Inc.
- Ronan SJ. A Novel Bio-Electric Current Stimulation Device For Improvement Of Muscle Tone [white paper, Cutera Inc.]. 7/2019.