Financial News

AM Best Revises Outlook to Negative, Affirms Credit Ratings of Aseguradora Ancón, S.A.

AM Best has revised the outlooks to negative from stable and affirmed the Financial Strength Rating of A- (Excellent) and the Long-Term Issuer Credit Rating of “a-” (Excellent) of Aseguradora Ancón, S.A. (Ancón) (Panama).

These Credit Ratings (ratings) reflect Ancón’s balance sheet strength, which AM Best assesses as strongest, as well as its adequate operating performance, neutral business profile and appropriate enterprise risk management.

The negative outlooks reflect the challenges the company faces in order to return to profitable metrics in the short and medium term. An atypical year in claims for Ancón’s health and fire segments, coupled with the slow growth in Panama’s insurance market in recent years have pressured results, potentially resulting in further losses if not successfully counteracted.

Ancón’s balance sheet strength is underpinned by risk-adjusted capitalization at an assessed level of strongest, as measured by Best’s Capital Adequacy Ratio (BCAR), and supported by a well-structured reinsurance program, which covers the company’s different business lines. Furthermore, Ancón’s holding company, Ancon Investment Corporation, has demonstrated continued parental support in the form of capital contributions, the latest taking place in September and November of 2023, totaling USD 6 million.

Ancón is the seventh-largest insurer in Panama, with a market share of 3% as of September 2023. Property/casualty insurance products comprise 65% of its business portfolio, with the remaining 35% made up of life products, including accident and health. The company’s main segments are auto and health, representing 40% and 24%, respectively, of its gross premiums written.

Ancón’s risk-adjusted capitalization has shown stability, as a result of its prudent business strategy in terms of retention and growth, a reinsurance program set with highly rated reinsurers and the aforementioned shareholder commitment. In AM Best’s view, this parental support has provided Ancón with an optimized capital structure through a reduced level of financial leverage. In addition, risk-based capital faces reduced pressure from equity risk following the spinoff of subsidiaries investments in 2021. In the midterm, AM Best expects Ancón to maintain its balance sheet strength assessment of strongest.

Ancón’s underwriting performance has been undermined by deviations in claims in the health and auto lines of business, its most important segments. The company is making the necessary pricing adjustments, as well as de-selecting unprofitable business, in order to avoid a potential negative trend in its bottom-line results going forward.

Negative rating actions could be taken if the company continues to experience an unfavorable trend in underwriting performance driven by administrative expenses. Positive rating actions could take place if the company is able to revert the current trend in operating results.

This press release relates to Credit Ratings that have been published on AM Best’s website. For all rating information relating to the release and pertinent disclosures, including details of the office responsible for issuing each of the individual ratings referenced in this release, please see AM Best’s Recent Rating Activity web page. For additional information regarding the use and limitations of Credit Rating opinions, please view Guide to Best’s Credit Ratings. For information on the proper use of Best’s Credit Ratings, Best’s Performance Assessments, Best’s Preliminary Credit Assessments and AM Best press releases, please view Guide to Proper Use of Best’s Ratings & Assessments.

AM Best is a global credit rating agency, news publisher and data analytics provider specializing in the insurance industry. Headquartered in the United States, the company does business in over 100 countries with regional offices in London, Amsterdam, Dubai, Hong Kong, Singapore and Mexico City. For more information, visit

Copyright © 2024 by A.M. Best Rating Services, Inc. and/or its affiliates.



Data & News supplied by
Stock quotes supplied by Barchart
Quotes delayed at least 20 minutes.
By accessing this page, you agree to the following
Privacy Policy and Terms and Conditions.

Use the Keyword Search to go straight to a specific page

Popular Pages

  • Local News
  • US News
  • Weather
  • State News
  • Events
  • Traffic
  • Sports
  • Dining Guide
  • Real Estate
  • Classifieds
  • Financial News
  • Fire Info